I've been working on this quilt off and on for months. I fought the urge to completely scrap it and start over a couple times, and I'm glad I did. Below is how I made it. It's more of guidelines rather than a pattern, so feel free to ask if you have questions.
44.5" x 52" - I tend to make baby quilts larger than crib size, since the babies are only crib size for less than two years. I like to give them things they'll be staining for years.
- Six fat quarters - I used batiks in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet
- 1 yard sashing fabric (white). You might want to get a little extra, to be safe.
- 1/3rd yard border fabric (red)
- Thread and other common quilting notions
- 1/2 yard - Binding - I used the same fabric as the backing.
- 1.5 yards 56" fabric - Backing - I used a solid red.
- 48" x 56" Batting
Cut each of the fat quarts into strips that vary between 1" and 2.5" at their thickest and thinnest.
Divide each color into thirds. Sew the strips back together, alternating one third with the color prior in the spectrum, one third with the color after, and one third with itself. Continue to sew them together, pressing the seams open, until you have one long strip of fabric.
- Cut this reconstructed piece of fabric into 5" strips, cutting the same directions as the seams.
- Cut each of those strips into pieces that are 2.5"x5"
- From those, select 22 and cut them in half to make 44 2.5" squares - C1
- You will need 60 5" x 2.5" blocks. You should have extras. - C2
From the sashing fabric, cut
- 40 - 1.5" x 2.5" - S1
- 55 - 1.5" x 5" - S2
- 8 - 1.75" x 2.5" - S3
- 10 - 2" x 35.5" - S4
- 2 - 2" x 46" (if you use standard 42" width fabric, you'll need to piece these) - S5
From border fabric, cut
- 2 - 3.5" x 38.5"
- 2 - 3.5" x 40.5"
- 2 - 3.5" x 12.5"
Create 4 short rows and 5 tall rows, pressing the seams.
Short row (SR):
S3 - C1 - S1 - C1 - S1 - C1 - S1 - C1 - S1 - C1 - S1 - C1 - S1 - C1 - S1 - C1 - S1 - C1 - S1 - C1 - S1 - C1 - S3
Long row (LR):
C2 - S2 - C2 - S2 - C2 - S2 - C2 - S2 - C2 - S2 - C2 - S2 - C2 - S2 - C2 - S2 - C2 - S2 - C2 - S2 - C2 - S2 - C2
Alternate color rows and sashing as follows. Press seams.
Sew the S5 pieces to the side.
Sew short border to the top and bottom. Press seams. Sew remaining border pieces to the left and right. Press seams.
Quilt and bind.